On Thursday we met with the perinatologist and Sweet Success at Pomona Valley Hospital. They left us waiting for about an hour and 15 minutes, which was not fun - but then they finally saw us. The doctor I saw was really rough with the ultrasound, so it bordered on painful - I am not her biggest fan - I guess she wanted to get a really good look and thought that me cringing in pain would help. She took measurements of the baby and checked all of the organs they could see - she is too far along to see everything. But we got a really good look at a lot of her organs and it was really amazing. We could see all of the chambers of her heart and the opening and closing valves as the blood was pumping through... it's truly amazing what is possible through current medical technology.The doctor told us her waist measurement is very large (very round belly). That confused me because I was under the impression that GD babies usually gained the extra weight in the shoulders and upper torso, but she said the belly is part of that "torso" description. I found that interesting since I had a huge round belly when I was born - although my weight was really low.
They are estimating her weight at about 7 lbs 15 oz right now. Dr. Gamm said they probably wouldn't let me get much past 8 lbs, but they haven't done the actual hip measurement and internal exam to formally see what they think my body can handle. That will most likely happen this Wednesday. The perinatologist reminded me that the ultrasound can be off and she may not be quite that big, but that is the closest estimate they can get. I will be going in once per week to meet with the Sweet Success people for managing the diabetes, once per week for my normal OBGYN appointments (starting next time they will do the cervical checks), and twice per week to San Antonio Community Hospital for Non-Stress tests. My first NST will be tomorrow (Monday).
Good thing I made Friday (last week) my last day at work! I have the option of working from home as much as I want this coming week, but we'll see how that goes around all of these appointments. At Sweet Success they went through all of the requirements to manage the diabetes, which includes a strict diet in terms of portions, distribution of food, the timing of meals and how much I eat in a day. They also taught me how to prick my finger and get the sugar readings. It's not hard and it doesn't hurt - but it is time consuming to plan the meals and stick to the schedule. I have to eat three meals per day and three snacks per day, each 2-3 hours apart, plan them out exactly as instructed (x number of starches, x number of fruits, x amount of milk.... etc) and measure my blood sugar exactly an hour after each meal. No more fruit juice and they are limiting my milk in-take. Since that is pretty much all I drink besides water, I'm bummed about having to give them up.
Anyways... praise God that she is healthy and everything seems to be in place. Prayer requests are that she doesn't gain much more and that I can get my blood sugar under control before labor so it doesn't have a negative effect on her after delivery. The doctor mentioned that sometimes GD babies' lungs develop at a slightly slower rate, so I am not in the rush to accellerate the labor process that I was in last week! Whatever I can do to keep her out of NICU and in our arms, I will do. Even if it means a more uncomfortable delivery for me. But I'll be honest - now I'm a little scared again, knowing that she's big.
It seems like every time I start to get peace about issues or fears, something challenges it. I guess that is normal - what better time for Satan to attack than when we are trying to place our trust in God, right? A few months ago, a guy from Teen Challenge gave us a word that he felt God had laid on his heart for us - he said that God wanted us to know that He knows our little girl already. He has a plan for us - for our family - even though we can't see it yet. He wants us to be still and know that He is God.
How often I forget that... even though He displays it every step of the way. It's silly that I even stop to question things - He has never failed to carry me through trials and questionable times. Why would He stop now? I pray that in my weakness He can be made strong and that we remember to "Be Still" in these coming days leading up to the end of our pregnancy and the beginning of our new life.
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
Lord, Go with Andy & Steffani today to her doctor's appointment. Interfere with everything that is being done leading up to the birth of their beautiful baby girl. Give the doctors, and anyone involved, wisdom to do what is the very best thing. During these last days of pregnancy, give Andy & Steffani peace. Keep them looking to You at all times.
Lord, are You as excited about this baby's arrival as we all are? Somehow, I think so.
In Jesus Wonderful Name, Amen
praying for you, steff. oh my goodness, she is coming so soon!
Post a Comment